The original historic Sheep Bridge was built in 1943 by the Flagstaff Sheep Company to ensure the safety of their flocks and herders crossing the Verde River. For safety reasons that bridge has been removed and replaced with a steel suspension span. There are several ways to reach the bridge but we chose to approach it from the northwest by taking bone jarring Bloody Basin Road. Since it was a week day, we encountered few others and camped alone at the bridge. Hiking across the bridge we discovered tracks of many vehicles under it and realized there was probably a much easier way to get there by crossing Bartlett Lake Dam. An alternative route home through Seven Springs, allowing us to stop at Sears Kay ruin, was also bumpy as hell but not quite as bad. Fortunately our truck is still running after the pounding it took.